Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Pumpkin Cream Sauce with Pasta

Yes, I know, 2 winter squash and pasta recipes in a row!  Will get diversity next time, but trust me, this one is worth the monotony!  And great for a pre-'trick-or-treat' meal!

I'm always looking for savory pumpkin recipes so that I can use up the leftover can of pumpkin after making pumpkin cookies, scones, or pancakes this time of year.  Some of you might remember my very first meal on here and total blunder with the 'pumpkin encrusted tempeh' from last year!  yuck... So I was really excited when I saw a pumpkin pasta recipe on the back of my Kroger whole wheat penne.  I personally don't like following recipes (feels too restrictive and complicated and less creative in my opinion, but to each their own!), but they are great for getting ideas!  I just perused the recipe and got the 'gist' of it.
It was basically a pumpkin cream sauce with cheese, sausage and pasta added.  I can make that my own, and if Kroger thinks it's good, it must be good!

Of course this meant I had to make pumpkin cookies first!  Which made for a perfectly pumpkin day since we were going to carve ours when Cody got home.  :)

To start dinner get the pot of water for pasta going and the pan ready to saute onions and garlic.  I used a small white onion and about 3-4 cloves of garlic.  Add your choice of protein (or not.  Pasta has decent amount on own).  I was just going to use tofu, but the fake vegetarian sausage was on sale right next to it and I thought I would splurge!  I don't usually like to eat a lot of processed meat alternatives but this one actually didn't have any isolated soy protein, just gluten (main protein in wheat, barley, and rye) and tofu.  I am okay with an onslaught of gluten in my body once in a while!  Saute with some olive oil or coconut oil until onions are tender.


Then add some broth of your choice--maybe 2 cups or so, and the pumpkin.  I just used what was left of the can I had for the cookies, maybe 1 cup.  The recipe called for 12 oz I believe, just make as pumpkin-y as you like!  This is when you should add the spices and any vegetables you want.  I liked Kroger's idea of cinnamon and red pepper flakes.  I added a sprinkling of those and a dash of nutmeg.  I love nutmeg to add a subtle sweet/spicy depth to savory dishes, especially when winter squash is involved.  I also added some frozen peas.

Let this simmer for a while and reduce.  Towards the end add a splash of cream and let simmer a few more minutes.  If you wanted this sauce cheesy, add your choice of grated cheese now. 

Can someone tell me why sometimes my pictures are sideways?? Looks right side up when I upload.. I don't understand

 When pasta is done, add it right to the sauce pan.  Season with salt and pepper as needed.  We sprinkled some grated Parmesan on ours.  Seriously delicious!






No comments:

Post a Comment