Monday, December 2, 2013

Mexican Stuffing...? (Thanksgiving leftover casserole)

(Aplogies for lack of pictures, didn't realize I would blog this one until after dinner!)

I had: 3/4 box of broth, half bag of stuffing bread, a large amount of broken tortilla chips at bottom of bag, and half of a butternut squash.  My mom had also sent me home with a can of creamed corn and a jar of roasted red peppers. Usually always have canned black beans on stock which would be an easy protein.

My original thought was to use the bread and broth since it would go bad first, however, making normal stuffing after Thanksgiving was way to boring!  Plus I didn't have all the ingredients for that.  But "stuffing" using bread and broken tortilla chips sounded like fun!  Both will soak up liquid and become soft and yummy.
Thinking of my other ingredients, it became clear this was going to be a dump and bake casserole!

Instead of sauteeing a mirepoix like normal stuffing, I sauteed chopped butternut squash and onion.  I added salt, pepper, sage and cumin towards end.

In the meantime, get a large bowl and start dumping ingredients!  Bread, chips, creamed corn, (rinsed) black beans, chopped peppers, some grated cheese, broth, and as much other liquid as needed.  This can all be broth if you have enough, otherwise water, milk, wine, etc will also work.  Add more seasonings.  I added more sage, cumin, salt, pepper, and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes. As always, get creative or use what you like. 

Cover and bake at 350-375 until hot throughout, then uncover and sprinkle grated cheese on top.  Bake until melted.
"Big bite."  Henry approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment