Monday, July 22, 2013

Garden Harvest Pasta Primavera

We are lucky enough to have an over-abundance of kale!  (Seriously, anyone in the area who wants some, please stop by).  We also started harvesting zucchini and I had carrots left in the fridge.  There was half of a box of pasta and lots of lentils in the pantry.  Low on pasta sauce so I thought immediately of pasta primavera with a butter/olive oil/garlic sauce.
Wash and cut all vegetables using what you have in your garden or fridge.  I chopped up the kale, some zucchini, a yellow squash from a neighbors garden, and a few of our carrots.  I am not one to worry about cutting in a consistent size, because I don't mind if things cook differently.  I am a terrible French chef...


 Boil the pasta water and add lentils first, let them go for a few minutes before adding the pasta.  Then let the pasta cook for a couple minutes before adding all the vegetables.  I left some of the kale leaves out to add at end since they really don't need much time.
Since I think boiling onion and garlic eliminates their flavor, I chopped them up with the herbs and added at the end.  I chose fresh basil and dill but you can use any fresh or dried herb you like.
I also added a dab of butter and splash of extra virgin olive oil with some salt and pepper.  Delicious, fresh, and healthy!  Serve with a lemon slice for added flavor and nutrition (the vitamin C in the lemon will help you absorb more iron in the lentils).



No comments:

Post a Comment